Library & Technology
The Olney Friends School Library includes over 9,900 volumes and about 35 current magazines and newspapers in its physical location in the heart of the Main Building. The online catalog also serves as portal to a wide range of electronic resources through INFOhio, a school library consortium providing sixteen online databases with full-text access to thousands of periodicals. A professional librarian provides information literacy instruction and reference service; purchases library and classroom materials to support an evolving curriculum; and manages library operations, training students to assist with routine tasks as community service. Several desktop computers, wired and wireless internet access, a black-and-white printer and photocopier, and a color printer are all dedicated for student use.
Olney students are also eligible for accounts at the local public library, which is within walking distance. These borrowing privileges gain access to materials from over 150 Ohio public libraries and inter-library loan through OhioLINK, a consortium of eighty-four Ohio college and university libraries and the State Library of Ohio.
The librarian welcomes book purchase recommendations from students and staff! Recent acquisitions include:
– Quakernomics: An Ethical Capitalism by Mike King
– Moral Tribes: Emotion, Reason, and the Gap Between Us and Them by Joshua Greene
– The Archaeology of the Bible by James K. Hoffmeier
– This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate by Naomi Klein
– In Other Words: the Science and Psychology of Second-Language Acquisition by Ellen Bialystok and Kenji Hakuta
– The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow
– Sustainable Materials with Both Eyes Open by Julian M. Allwood and Jonathan M. Cullen
– Rabble in Arms by Kenneth Roberts
– Attachments: A Novel by Rainbow Rowell